Monday, June 3, 2013

My Virginia Garden

It's been a great year to plant and work in our yard. As I was out searching for new and interesting plants, I found myself being drawn to plants from my childhood. I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's (Mamma's) house as a child and I have such fond memories of waiting for the four o'clocks to open in the late afternoon and collecting the dried zinnia blooms, saving them in a brown paper sack and crumbling them in my hands to plant in the spring. I'm sorry most children don't have these wonderful nature experiences. My grandchildren do. We wander around looking for wonderful interesting things and never know what we'll find.

 Now, back to the point. I now have Mamma's favorite flowers planted in my Virginia Garden (Jewel Virginia Jones was her name.) Those were Zinnias, Four O'Clocks and Moss Roses.  And I feel such joy and comfort in these memories.

Until tomorrow, remember, we don't always have to be looking forward, sometimes its really nice to look back,
Sandra

No comments: