Saturday, March 17, 2012

Anhinga

The Anhinga, is a really strange water bird. I have quite a few hanging around in my backyard. This one I call Antoine. He is always ready to pose for me. The name most people use for this bird is a snake bird. They swim underwater for long periods of time and then extend their long necks upwards out of the water looking a lot like a snake.

The Anhinga is not a duck, although when swimming they look like a duck. Just because it looks like a duck and swims like a duck does not make it a duck. One interesting difference is that their wings do not have the waxy coating that a duck's has so they are forced to spread their wings in the sun and flap them in the wind to dry them out.

Be on the lookout for an anhinga and let me know when you see one.

Till next time, Tweetles

No comments: